Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Growing Babies Is A Full Time Job

Today was my 34 week appointment. From here on out appointments are once a week, and since the goal is to make it to 38 weeks, that leaves three more appointments to go. If you are doing the math there and are thinking, "um, that doesn't quite add up," don't worry- I haven't completely lost my mind.

Since my previous pregnancy was an emergency c-section, and this time we have one twin in a breech position, I'm opting for a scheduled c-section this time. My doctor would be okay with a VBAC if I wanted to, but the stress and risks related would be just too much to bear. I don't mind not knowing when they will come, in fact I'd prefer to go into labor on my own if possible. So it has nothing to do with fitting it into my schedule (although I would love for them to have July birthdays if at all possible), but more to do with safety and the trauma of an emergency c-section.

Anyway, the c-section is scheduled for July 3, which is the day that I am 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I have some thoughts about maybe extending it to a few days later, but I don't want to get ahead of myself... Let's just see if I even get that far. So don't mark your calendars for July 3. Anything could happen between now and then.

So I will see the doctor again at 35 weeks, 36 weeks, and 37 weeks. By the time I'm 38 weeks, the babies will be here... Or if I don't quite feel like it's the end, I may push it out further... But chances are I may be begging for it to be the end at that point. From what I've read, there are many women who make it to 39, 40 and even 41 weeks pregnant with twins... but most doctors won't allow a woman to go past 38 weeks because of other complications that could arise at that point. I guess we'll just see. In a twin pregnancy there is no "scheduled" about anything, I've discovered.

So at my 34 week appointment I learned:
* I had gained 4.5 pounds in the last two weeks (hoping that is ALL baby!)
* I have gained 32.5 pounds so far, which is right on track.
* My blood pressure looks good
* Ankle swelling is nearly non existent
* I am measuring as if I were 39 weeks pregnant with one baby
* I am not dilated
* The babies are still fairly high and haven't descended

When she asked how I was feeling, I told her, "great, when I'm lying down!" I didn't even have to wait long at the doctor's office, and was told that I'm looking great and that the bed rest was doing exactly what it should.

I was sent away with instructions to "keep growing babies," which got me thinking about the process of "growing twins."

Other than the naps and television/phone time wasters, I actually have a lot to keep track of each day: the water intake, getting as close to 2700 calories a day, doing all the kick counts, and remembering to take every vitamin/supplement.

So I've documented a day in the life at 34 weeks pregnant with twins... hold on to your hats...

6:30 am - 7 am:
Adam wakes up and joins me in our bed while Shannon takes a shower. We watch Little Einsteins or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and sometimes after he gets bored he "organizes" (aka stacks and sorts) my medicines on the nightstand.

7:15 am - 7:30 am:
Shannon gets Adam ready for school. Sometimes I make it to the couch to say good bye, sometimes I don't.

8:00 am:
Force myself to find a substantial breakfast. Usually make myself eat when I don't feel like it.
Drink 16 oz of water. 

8:15 am:
Take Iron supplement.
Start kick counts for both babies. Get stressed because one is usually in a weird position or less active than the other.

8:20 am - 9:30 am:
Lie in bed. Pretend to watch TV. Usually play on Facebook or Pinterest. Check email on phone, play free cell. Text.
Drink another 16 oz of water. 

9:30-11:30 am:
Exhausted and bored from lying in bed, usually decide to take a nap.

11:30 am-11:45am:
Wake up and try to decide what to eat for lunch.

11:45 am- 11:55 am:
After deciding what to make for lunch, spend ten minutes in bed gathering the energy to get up and get it. Drink another 16 oz of water.

12pm - 12:45pm:
Make and eat lunch.

12:45pm:
Take Calcium/Vitamin D supplements. 
Start kick counts for both babies.

12:45pm- 3:30pm:
Maybe take a bath. Text. Maybe watch TV. Maybe play on phone. Usually shop online. Try not to think about how bored I am. Google all the horrible things that could happen to babies and pregnancies. Regret it immediately. Text Shannon all the horrible things I read and get told to, "stop doing that."

3:30 pm:
Find a snack. Maybe drink an Ensure for the calories.
Drink a Vitamin Water "Revive" (for the Potassium and Vitamin B) 

3:45 pm:
Contemplate another nap. Usually end up sleeping or lying around staring at the wall. Sometimes take another bath.

5:15 pm: Shannon and Adam come home. Adam comes to say "hi," then goes to play.
Drink 16 oz of water. 

Between 6 pm and 6:30 pm:
Muster enough energy to move to the couch to talk to Adam and eat dinner.
Drink 16 oz of water.

6:45 pm- 7:30 pm:
Watch TV (Sesame Street or Winnie the Pooh) and talk to Adam.

7:30 pm - 7:50 pm:
Back to bed to recover from difficulty of sitting up on couch.
Start kick counts for both babies.

7:50 -8:45:
Return to couch to hang out with Adam before he goes to bed. Might get Adam to share some jello or popcorn with me.

8:45 pm:
Second Dinner.
Drink 8 oz water.

9:15 pm:
Go to bed.
Take Prenatal Vitamin and extra Folic Acid supplement. 

9:15 -11:30 pm:
Lie in bed and try to sleep but usually can't ...

Midnight:
Finally fall asleep.

3:00 am:
Bathroom break.

6:00 am:
Bathroom break.

6:30 am-7:00 am:
Adam wakes up. Repeat previous day.

No comments: