Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Nice Police

I worked on a project to do a picture of Adam with his age and his most popular sayings. Of course, I left off many of them, like "Thank you!" "You're Welcome!" "I found it!" "There you are!" "Where'd Adam go?" "See Mamie and Grandpa?" (I could go on...)

I couldn't fit it on the page that he can identify an oval, a diamond, a hexagon, and all the other "normal" shapes... to the point that in order to challenge him I'm trying to teach him to say "parallelogram." I also couldn't find a way to put on there that we are working on identifying more body parts in order to keep him from getting bored, and his two new favorites are "bicep," and "temple."

I had to laugh when I unintentionally taught him the word "extremely" this afternoon and realized that he has a new favorite, "a motorcycle!" . . . But I wanted to capture the "Essence of Adam," and edited this photo.


Some other conversations with Adam, in which many times he has become the "nice police"...

While Taking a Bath 
Adam was in the bathtub waiting for me to bring in Claire (now he doesn't want to take baths unless Colin and Claire join him. He loves to help bathe them.) Colin had just gotten a bath, was cold, and was therefore furious. As I was trying to dress him, warm him, and calm him down, I hear from the bathroom:

"Be NICE, Mamma, be nice!"

(Sorry Adam, I'm trying.)

Before Dinner
 Adam threw a bouncy ball at the wall and it hit him in the face.
"No, Ball! That's NOT NICE, Ball!"


Reading Where The Wild Things Are Before Bed (new favorite)

Adam points to a Wild Thing (specifically, the one in the water next to the boat).

"What's that?"
"What do you think it is?"
"A Dinosaur! ... Be nice, Dinosaur, be nice!"

Reading The Gruffalo Before Bed (the other new favorite)

"Adam, what's that?"
"A fox! Be nice, Fox!"

"Where's the snake, Adam?"
"There... oh be nice, Snake!"
Watching Ducktales
Launch Pad crashes his plane.

"Oh no, airplane, did you fall? Are you okay, airplane?"

Eating a Snack
Adam often forgets what he's doing, or tries to do do much, and chokes on his apple slices. He choked and coughed out a chunk of apple onto the floor. Shannon asked him if he was alright, and picked up the apple pieces. As he was throwing them in the trash...

"Be careful, Apple!"

Running Through Our Bedroom
Adam took a corner too tightly and hit his head on the corner of our footboard.

"Ow! Be careful, Bed!"

Despite the frequent meltdowns that come with this age, I love the two year old phase, especially when everyday I can wake up and have conversations like these with my sweet little boy.

No comments: