Thursday, September 6, 2012

Colin's Personality

Colin, 3 months
With Colin, at the moment, its like someone literally cloned Shannon. Papa brought an old picture of Shannon when he was maybe a couple of months older than Colin, and the similarities are insane. The only thing so far that are like me are his blue-grey eyes (Shannon's eyes are hazel-green, with lots of gold in them).



Shannon, maybe 6 months old?

Adam looked a little like Shannon when he was born, but since then has alternated between looking like me, looking like Papa, and sometimes even looking like Chris or Robin. Right now Adam looks a lot like me, but he has always looked like ADAM.

Claire has my elf ears, my almond-shaped cat eyes, and I'm still hoping more than anything that she didn't get my thin, baby fine hair. But in all, she has bits and pieces of genetic make up on both sides. Claire looks like CLAIRE.

Colin is already starting to look more like himself, but it amazes me how genetics can work. It's not just in looks that Colin is like Shannon. Colin is very laid back. He stares at me with such intensity that I simply sit and stare back and wonder at how I add up for him. He just seems so... wise.


Because of his acid reflux, he sleeps only on his stomach. This has been good for his strength, his stomach, his head shape... And, like Shannon, he sleeps so hard that when he wakes up he has no idea what's going on. When his eyes open he looks at you like you've got seven heads. I've seen that look so often on Shannon that it makes me giggle to see it on such a tiny little face.
 

I could sit with Colin all day long and coo at him, stroke his face and try to get him to smile, and he'll stare at me like he can't get enough, but I might get a tiny little smirk or two out of him. Then Shannon comes home, and Colin's dimples really come out. It's like when he sees Shannon's face or hears Shannon's voice, all is right in the world and he can't hold the big open-mouthed grins back (this is why I have very little pictures of Colin's big smiles - he saves them for Daddy).

I got several pictures of Colin's big smile, and I'm fairly certain it's because Shannon was in the room with us. (Claire thinks her bow is stupid and wants me to take it off).
He'll also grin like crazy when he's half-asleep and gets to cuddle on your shoulder, but he especially loves Grandpa's shoulder.

When I do get smiles from Colin, they are rare like the times I can get Shannon to laugh. When I make Shannon laugh, I feel like I accomplished something, like I am actually funny or cool because it made him laugh. That's how I feel when I get those sweet little dimple-smiles from Colin.

Colin and I can sit for hours and exchange the most adorable array of facial expressions, like the one below:

If this guy could sit in your lap or in your arms and cuddle, all day and all night, I don't think he'd ever complain.


(And just for fun, here's another picture of Shannon when he was young. Awwwwwww...)

No comments: