Friday, August 23, 2013

Swimming

I was an active, working lifeguard for 7 years throughout college (Bachelor's and Master's Degrees), and I taught swim lessons. But Adam responds better to... well, people who aren't me. He listens to my instructions but there is something to be said about an instructor in an authoritative position and the peer pressure of having other classmates. Adam responds to positive peer pressure very well, and so far is a leader when it comes to negative peer pressure. (The terms: "teacher's pet" and "bossy" come to mind, but in a way that is likeable by the other kids.)

So I put him in professional swim lessons. When I signed him up, I put him in the class that was appropriate for his age group, thinking that he'd probably be bigger than and more willing to experiment than perhaps some of the others his age. I made the arrangements online, but never got a good enough confirmation, and as a result of my parent's training, stopped by the facility about a week before the classes were supposed to start to validate that he was in the class. My suspicions were confirmed - the enrollment never went through.

But Emler Swim School looked at the class, saw it was booked, and asked if we'd would be okay with him joining the class for the four year olds, and I told them I thought that was perfectly fine. He looks and speaks like a four year old and has no hesitation in the water. So we did it.

When I was there, I said, "I used to teach lessons, but ya know... he doesn't listen to me. What do I know?"
Three instructors were half overhearing and laughed in a friendly way, and the one who was helping me said, "Oh, we understand. None of us teach our own kids." That was comforting.

They ended up having to merge that class (all of four kids), so other than Adam, the class had a three year old (who would be taught as if he was in the original three year old class), a four year old, and a a five year old, and Adam did just fine. They taught him as if he was with the four and five year old, and by the end of the two week class, he was swimming underwater 6 feet.

They graduated him out of the preschool class and into the advanced beginners (4-5 year old) class with no hesitation. This school is very good, and I would not say he's a more "advanced" swimmer for his age -- I saw two year olds who started at the baby swim lessons who were swimming 8-10 feet across the pool, but I am thrilled that he loves it so much and is so movitated to keep going and that he is learning everything so quickly.

So despite the cost, we know that him getting an opportunity to continue will be incredible for him, so we signed him up for the fall with the same instructor, Mr. Miguel. He starts that session once a week on Wednesdays this coming week. He also is starting U-4 soccer this fall. We'll be one busy and happy family.

The pictures below are from day one. By day 10, he swam 6 feet under water, and then did a little dance to celebrate. Very proud of my over-achiever who soaks up every ounce of LIFE that he can.






No comments: