Monday, October 11, 2010

You forget why you complain sometimes.





So Adam was five months on October 5, and while it wasn't scheduled, he had another doctor's appointment. But let's start from the beginning...

Shannon and I had our two year anniversary on October 3, which was a Sunday. Only two years; however we've known each other for more than nine and a half, so it seems silly to start counting so late in the game. But nevermind that. It was fun to celebrate with each other, as we have in so many ways before - but this time with a child, a house, a new truck, a whole lot of debt . . . and after being married two years! To celebrate, we took Adam to a pumpkin patch in Flower Mound, but stopping first at Mama's Daughter's Diner for lunch. Adam is never fussy (well, rarely fussy), but he wasn't really "feeling it" that afternoon while I took a few pictures.


Daddy's got me!








That night my parents watched him while we went to an early showing of The Social Network (liked), and had margaritas and appetizers at Luna de Noche afterwards. We had a great time and we got back to my parent's house around 10:30 (I know, we're super partiers now).

Yeah, we look tired. What about it??

When we got Adam back home at midnight, he was throwing up. On top of the bronchitis, colds, and what they say is either allergies or acid reflux, Adam has been a spit up machine. He was already on Soy formula and Prevacid. But he caught a bug and threw up the whole day Sunday. On Monday, both Shannon and I had caught it and we were both miserable. Adam had no appetite and slept alot, and then he seemed okay Tuesday - back to his old self. Wednesday. Vomiting. They called me from daycare and I picked him up and took him to the pediatrician.

It's hard to be sitting in a doctor's office (again) with this little darling boy, who was smiling and engaging so much that she called him a little genius because of his advanced social skills. He's five months old and has the social skills of an eight month old. But I had to explain the following:

For this smiley little boy:
- The prevacid isn't working.
- He spits up after ever meal, even two hours later.
- He even spits up the baby food.
- He still has the bad congestion.
- He still has that awful cough.
- He had a stomach bug.
- (oh, he has a new cold now, too)
- He is still throwing up. Every meal.
- He has six or seven dirty diapers a day.

I failed to mention the teething, which gave him such a bad diaper rash that with his sensitive skin that I'm afraid it actually scarred his skin. So she gave me the vials to collect a stool sample (to test for parasite, UGH), gave us samples for hypoallergenic formula, and wrote a prescription for nexium. I worked from home the rest of the day Wednesday, Thursday, and the morning on Friday. He threw up the entire time.

Friday morning, Adam woke up at 4 am, and I looked at Shannon and said, "I just can't do it." Shannon got up, fed him, and then got in the shower and went to work at 5:30 am because he'd been taking off early to relieve me since I wasn't getting as much done as I needed to working from home. At 5:45 Adam was crying again. I went in to get him and he was on his stomach, face down in vomit. He smiled at me when I picked him up. (TALK ABOUT HEART-BREAKING!) He had a dirty diaper. I cleaned him up, changed his diaper, and at 5:45 when I was hoping to be back in bed, was busy collecting a stool sample. He acted like he was feeling better around 9:30, so I fed him and watched for a while to see if he would keep it down, and he did. So I took him to daycare and went to work.

I picked him up from daycare at 4:30 pm thinking that he was probably doing better since they hadn't called me - but he was wearing their "loaner" pajamas because he'd thrown up twice. When we got home I switched him to the hypoallergenic formula. He did well. I thought, "well maybe he's allergic to just the soy, not milk-based formula." So I gave him some "gentle" formula Saturday evening. He threw up. I've got my answer.

But I ask you. Seriously. Would you be upset, depressed, or at all at the end of your rope if you were looking at this face every day?








 So he's developed into his own little person, and I have seen so many similarities between him and Shannon and him and I... he likes to do things by himself and he gets frustrated when he can't. He willingly tries to hold his own bottle at every feeding, and will even do it at 5 am when you're changing his diaper at the same time. He comes home from day care and "stands" in our lap, grabs our faces and gives us big kisses. He likes to look at things upside down, which my mom says I did when I was little. He loves squash, he loves sweet potatoes, he LOVES carrots, loves green beans . . . so he's not picky - and neither Shannon nor I are. And I think I've decided who he looks like, but it's hard to tell sometimes. Just look:

ERIN VS. ADAM
 
SHANNON VS. ADAM


I'm tired, for sure. But here I am at 11 pm on a Monday night bragging about how awesome he is. I love picking him up from daycare, where he sees me, smiles really big and kicks his feet. I love that he is who he is. He is everything and more than I could have possibly wanted. I don't even want to scar those thoughts with worries that there is something very serious going on with his health.

Oh, and both my fantasy football teams are 5-0. One team is good, the other really isn't that great. And I usually suck BAD at fantasy football. It's my third year, the golden year... and I have a really good luck charm this time around.
 

3 comments:

Elissa said...

Oh man :-( They need to figure out what's going on with him? All those tummy aches and throw ups aren't normal.

He is darling. Sounds like he's doing great developmentally.

Anonymous said...

I hope they have referred you to a gastroenterologist and an allergist by now. Could be a hernia of some sort? The most common allergies for infants are dairy, soy, nuts, and eggs. I am so sorry that he's been so sick, but am thankful that he doesn't let it effect his mood and isn't acting miserable. We'll be praying for a proper diagnosis and peace as it is never easy when you know something isn't right with your baby(even when so many things are right with them)!

Lisa said...

Erin! He is adorable! And I can see why you love staring at his little face! :) Keep up the good work! They will find out whats bugging his tummy soon! I hope. :)