Friday, August 12, 2011

My Tiny Person

This weekend I'm getting on a plane and flying away for a few days with my mom, to see my aunt and cousins. This will be the longest time away from Adam, and while I know he will be fine, and Shannon will be great, and I will have a great time, I still worry that I'll wake up tomorrow morning not knowing what to do with myself.

I'm getting in my fill of his smiles, sneaking in as many hugs and kisses as possible, and trying to imagine what it will be like to travel with only one bag, to sit by the pool without chasing a tiny person, worrying about his sunscreen or whether he's hydrated enough. I can't remember what it's like to have a hang over (unplanned, of course) without someone interrupting my morning of misery and self-loathing by hitting me on the head with a book or a toy car... oh man, but I will miss the giggles and the playtime. Shannon better send me lots of pictures. :)

Adam is still waking up once or twice a night - if it's not at 2 am, it's around 4:30 - 5am each morning (or both 2am and 5am) and we think we've narrowed down the issue to two alternating problems - nightmares and being scared, or being too cold. He's not hungry or dirty but he doesn't want to be alone or he wants to cuddle. We got a new night light for his room, which he LOVES, and last night I after cuddling him to warm him up at 5:30 this morning I wrapped him like a burrito in two fluffy blankets and he immediately went right back to sleep. We'll get there... hopefully.

In the meantime, nothing much is new. Adam has figured out the dog door is a portal to the outside and uses it frequently to go in and out (I have video, but can't find my camera cable to the computer so will have to post another time). It's hot so we play outside in the shade, and usually Adam is stripped down because he likes to jump into every bucket of water he can find.


Every morning, Adam eats breakfast (a fruit and a waffle or piece of toast), gets dressed, and then runs into his room to grab his new car night light and push it around the house.


Every morning I put on his shoes, drive 2 minutes to daycare, and find a barefooted little boy in the backseat, grinning like he always does. I don't blame him - shoes are a pain.


If you say, "see you later," he waves "bye," if you grab your keys or he finds your keys, he grabs them, goes to the door and says "bye bye," and if he finds my purse or his backpack he throws it over his shoulders and walks towards the door to the garage. If he finds anything circular he puts it on his wrists because Aunt Robin taught him about her bracelets. If you ask him to throw something away he'll take it to the trash can. If it's especially interesting, he has a hard time letting go, but he knows what "trash" and "throw away" mean, and is desperate to be helpful.
Hey Mom, I found this cord in your purse. Do I look cool?


If you ask him if he wants to read a book he'll go directly to his bookshelf, pick one out, and bring it to you to read to him. If you read him his "Going to Bed" book and get to the page that has no pictures but says, "The day is done. They say good night. Now somebody turns off the light." He smiles and stares at the page, then says "ni ni," and puts his head on the book to give it a hug. When you turn the page, he flips it back to that page.
Reading before school

His two new books: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Where is My Cat?

Below are some more pictures of him last night -- the first Cowboys pre-season game, Adam's new Cowboys outfit (which was dirty before the game started), his new kicks, and fajitas for dinner, which he inhaled and had seconds...






No comments: