Monday, November 24, 2014

Why I Don't Have a Problem Photographing My Children

Here's why I have no problem photographing my children:

1. They enjoy it. 

When I pull out my camera and a pair of oversized rainboots on a rainy day, they light up. Perhaps there are parents this fun all over the world who are creating these moments and are not taking pictures, but I am not one of them. I want to capture the moment, and if the moment includes muddy feet, wet, sobbing children and me just watching them get miserable, I cut their time short. When the camera comes out and it becomes a game, we all have a good time and it gets captured. Every soaking minute of it.

My only hesitation is snow. We all look miserable and cold in the snow. Snow is evil.

Fortunately, we're not dealing with snow this time around.




2. They like the game.

My children know that photography is important to me. It's part of being a family. I know what they like, they know what I like. They also want to participate, and they don't always have an easy time following instructions. But when it's a game, it's fun and rewarding to have a "director" tell them to lie down, how to turn their head... be serious, smile, laugh, be silly... stay very still and look at your brother or sister... they like to model. Perhaps I made them that way, but either way, that's our occasional game.


3. They like seeing their pictures. They like to see Mom "paint" on the screen when I edit, and especially get thrilled when they see a portrait of themselves that they truly like. They feel special. "That's me!"

The way we do it. it's for fun. It's a bonding experience. It's for the art of it.


4. I am able to capture their joy in day to day moments and they have no issue or complaint when the camera comes out. 

One can have a particularly "I'm NOT lying in the grass," kind of day, and no one will force him/her. They may see the fun and join in, but if they don't, I capture their own spirit.


It takes a little time for him to get warmed up. But he's into it when we get rolling.
5. They do not get into trouble for being themselves. 

They may get a scolding for not listening or for antagonizing, but they are learning the limits. It's the same when you take your child to a party and they get a little excited. They are learning how to reel it back in.

And most of the time it's okay to let it all go.



6. I am not teaching vanity. 

They look at the photographs afterward and they are understanding composition, color, contrast and lines, and the candid aspects of life. I am learning these things along with them and we are engaging. If they don't like a picture of themselves (really Adam is the critical one at this age), they don't look at it in disgust but imagine a way to make it more "themselves," and I let them embrace that

.


7. Most of all, they will not always play "photosession" with me, and while they like it, we will play it.

But I do not feel guilty about making this a priority with them nor to I feel bad about sharing their art. I am cherishing this time with them however long it lasts.





 8. Most importantly, I have documented proof that I am hilariously funny.























No comments: