Monday, May 16, 2011

Brightside

Friday after the doctor appointment, Adam ran a high fever and vomited. We had our car keys on standby to make a trip to the ER. He usually can't sit still, but all afternoon, all evening and all night long he had to be attached to me, lying down.

He would fall asleep, we put him in his bed, and he would wake up and cry immediately. This was extremely unusual because he loves his crib. He didn't want to be alone, but doesn't sleep well outside of his crib.

So he slept in our bed and he kicked me and punched me and head-butted me most of the night before he fell asleep, and his fever broke at about 1-2 am. On Saturday he was fever-less, but still not breathing or feeling all that great.

I've cleaned up vomit 6 times over the last 3 days. Adam cringes when he sees the little syringe of medicine come at him now after he constantly sees each steroid, antibiotic, Advil, antibiotic, Tylenol, breathing treatment x 4 or 5 every day. He has just recently gotten his appetite back. But luckily, we haven't been in the hospital.

Our pediatrician told us that we should expect him to feel a million times better by Monday morning and absolutely ready to go to daycare. We were told he shouldn't be contagious anymore by Saturday. So Saturday night he sat in my lap and I pointed at things around the room - "Do you see Caley? Can you say dog? Can you say Dad? Can you say Mom?" Whenever I pointed at myself and said Mom, he squealed, wiggled back and forth, and planted a big kiss on my mouth. Three times in a row. I decided that from that moment on Mr. Charming could have whatever he wanted. Don't judge me, you wouldn't be able to resist him either.

On Saturday some door-to-door sales people came by selling security systems (don't worry, they looked legit). We usually don't answer the door when we see them but Shannon was walking right by it when they knocked, so he was trapped. We had been talking about putting in an alarm system anyway, they offered us a free equipment, and it was lower rates per month than we expected, so we took it. They installed it that night. When the technician came in late that evening, and left at about 10:30 that night, Adam was desperate to talk to someone from the outside world and when we carried him by the guy, Adam shot his arm up in the air and said "hey!"

On Sunday my mom came by with dinner and took Adam for a walk so we can have a break... we spent the time cleaning up his high chair and the floor because he threw up again about 1 minute before she rang the doorbell. But it was nice having an extra pair of hands!

We still heard the chest congestion late last night and decided that he probably needs another day of breathing treatments and rest, so Shannon stayed home with him today. We made an appointment to get him checked out again, and she said that we are out of the woods with the pneumonia and are looking at croup. One more day of steroids, breathing treatments as needed, and Robitussin DM for the cough. He should be healthy enough to go to daycare tomorrow.

That's good. I will miss seeing his adorable little face all day though. My vacation was not the most relaxing or the most carefree that I've ever had, but I did get to see him as much as I wanted and play with him when he was feeling well. I taught him to blow kisses and we worked on the shape ball and his blocks, so I'm trying my best to look on the bright side.

However, he now wants a constant leash to "mom mom mom mom MOM!" so I'm sure dropping him off at daycare will be a real treat tomorrow. Come on, weekend!

No comments: