Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Party is Over and Dad's New Office

The Sunday after Adam's first birthday party was Mother's Day, and it was nothing special. We tried to recover from the long day Saturday, I cooked Tuna Helper, which Adam really liked (thankfully, that's a big favorite around here), and we watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Since Adam's party, Adam and Shannon both came down with a nasty cough Monday morning. I'm frustrated (no, let's face it, I'm angry). I know exactly where it came from, how it happened, that the cough is so bad and that it easily could have been prevented. He's having trouble sleeping and I know his throat hurts, and there's nothing we can give him to make him feel better.

Today is Shannon's birthday, and because they are both sick there wasn't much we could do. Adam wanted to go out in the backyard, but because of food from the party in the backyard, the fire ants have moved in. Shannon put some ant killer out and we need to wait a few days before we can let him roam it freely. We set Adam up in the front yard with his four wheeler, and he liked motoring all the way to the end of the yard, but then discovered the manhole cover, the mailbox, and finally couldn't be torn away from the street before we moved the activities back inside.

So we went to dinner tonight at Saltgrass for Shannon's birthday, the three of us. Shannon had steak, I had shrimp, and Adam had a cheeseburger. He spent most of the evening waving and talking to the couple sitting at the next table over and flirting with the waitresses . . . and despite being sick, did a good job with his burger.




He's looking at me and saying "come here." Not much further I could go in the truck, though.


After dinner we went to see Shannon's new office and Adam got to explore. He especially enjoyed the Dallas Cowboys helmet, sitting in the chair, and closing the big door. He quickly went for the computer mouse, but was not quick enough, sadly.





this is fun!!









Adam has become a master "waver" and has developed his own sign for "come here" - a wave is arm up by his head and back and forth (away from and towards his head), "come here" is one arm out in front, palm up, and moving his fingers towards his palms (up and down). He picked it up from me - usually he'll walk out of the room, turn to see if you're following, and if not, he'll tell you to "come here." It's hard to resist, albeit exhausting.

Today he was on a roll with his words. So far he has said:
Mom
Dad
Dadda
Adam
"Li" (Eli)
Dog
Cat
"Ny ny" (Night Night)
No
Uh oh
Hi
Hey
(and I think he's saying "Yeah," but it's a little tough to tell).

Today he said (just once, but I'm taking it): "Gus," and "Thank you." (Seriously.) He knows what Gus means.... he was looking right at our fat orange cat when he said it. "Thank you," was because he was mimicking me when I told him thank you. But I like it and just hope I hear it a lot more in the future!

This morning when we were playing he came up and gave me a kiss, right on the mouth (his mouth wide open, of course), THREE times in a row. His new favorite thing is for me to give him eskimo kisses - I'll cup his cheeks and rub my nose against his, 3 times. He loves it, and so do I.

Hopefully the week will be much better than the last couple of days since the party.

No comments: