Saturday, September 24, 2011

More Words

When Adam first started speaking I noted that if he could sign a word, he didn't try to say it. Again, I haven't had any real opinions one way or another about baby sign language, although from what I hear it can be kinda controversial.

Lately, however, it seems that if he can sign it, he can say it, and he does both at once. I think that's a good sign. We are still doing Your Baby Can Read, but mostly because he really does like watching the shows in the morning during breakfast (some days, not all), and he has a drive to expand his vocabulary and learn everything there is to learn. In fact, if he doesn't know the word to something he'll point and grunt urgently until you tell him what the name for it is. He most likely won't try to say it (we're getting there on TRAIN), but he'll process it.

And if he hears an airplane, he'll point to the sky . . . if you ask where the airplane is, he'll point up too.

Adam's newest words/phrases:

"What's that?"

"Bath" (usually said quickly and while running to the bathroom)

"Yellow" (he points to something that is yellow when he says it)

"Three" (he points at the number 3 when he says it)

"Apple" (he points at a picture of an apple, signs it, and says it)

"Milk" (points to a picture of milk, signs it, and says it... or sometimes he runs to the refrigerator for it)

"Banana" (He sang me a song about his banana yesterday morning. It was very catchy)

"Waffle" (well, it sounds more like "wa wa" but it doesn't take much to impress me).

"Away" (He likes to throw things "away" and is very good at it.)

"More" (he signs and says "more")

"All Done" (he signs and says "all done")

"Yeah"

"What?"


I have to remind myself that he'll be 17 months old in a week and a half and this is normal.

He's also pretty good at the fist bump. He looks cool when he does it too... like, "yeah, (fist bump). I'm know, I'm awesome."

He's also graduating to longer and "big kid" picture books, as long as you don't have to stay on a page for too long and the pictures are interesting. He's becoming addicted to Llama Llama Red Pajama and will also sit still for Goodnight Moon (however, throughout the book he purses his lips together and "moos"... we aren't quite sure where that comes from - maybe that one cow).


Shannon has asked me a couple times what I would write down in his baby book as Adam's "first" word, and I would have to say, without a doubt, that it's "DAD." He says it clearly, he says it when he's looking for Dad, and he plays "Where's Dad?" when he knows he's looking for Dad. (But obviously, with two parents working full time, we aren't looking for Dad that often because Shannon is typically home about an hour (ish) after I've picked Adam up from school.) And he's said DAD since the moment he could put together sounds and know what he was doing.

And lately, because of reading books and getting older, he's started saying "Mama" much more often too... and looks for kisses from me, calls me Mama, and even gave me a few good hugs before bedtime tonight, which I ate up like candy. (If I liked candy . . . so maybe I ate it up like queso).

I remember when I used to worry that I wasn't cutting up his banana small enough for him to eat. Now I break it in half and hand it to him while he sings his banana song. Now I watch him as I cut his food and know that if I cut it up too small he'll yell at me because he so desperately wants to do it himself, because he can. If it's not small enough, he'll break it up in his hands himself. Even with his two and 1/2 little teeth. (We hung out briefly with a boy just 5 weeks younger than him who has nine gleaming teeth right out in front). It doesn't phase Adam one bit.

For the last few days Adam has shown considerable maturation, and his craziness factor has decreased. He listens more, understands more, and will sit down and play games. He's pretty incredible at the shape ball and can point out pictures in books. For a few days we kept saying that he's probably not feeling well... and now we're just starting to see that he's just growing up. Last night Shannon said he missed the crazy Adam, the one who steals your cup and comes running into the room grinning with his mouth so wide open in happiness that you light up and get on your toes for what's next. Constantly. But that guy's not gone, he's just probably scheming for bigger and better craziness.

We like this guy. A lot. (As if you couldn't tell).






Lesson Learned #16: When I think I couldn't possibly love someone any more than I do right that second, I wake up the next morning and see his face again.

Lesson Learned #17: I'm sappier than I ever thought I could be.

No comments: