Saturday, July 27, 2013

What They Are Doing

Colin and Claire are 13 months old, and they are both climbing like chimps and walking like... well, people. Colin started climbing first, like Adam did, and Claire starting walking first, by about 2-3 weeks. Both took their first steps right at the end of 11 months, but now they are mobile enough to have private conversations in the corner of the kitchen with a cup and a toy fish before they turn and enact their devious plans.

Colin still loves being told "no." He does things just so he can hear it and then when you say it to his ornery act, he laughs so hard he can't even keep his balance. Claire likes to be told "no," too, after seeing what a kick Colin gets out of it, and she's saying phrases like, "Hi Daddy," (always Daddy, "Mama" comes in shrieks when she needs something), but when you tell her no, she grins and shakes her head, like she knows it. When Shannon shakes his head "no," at her, she laughs, and then nods "yes." He shakes his head, she nods, he shakes his head, she nods, and laughs... and this continues until she changes his mind and he nods. He's in so much trouble.

They are all interacting very well together and after school each day they dog pile on each other and wrestle. At school the twin's teacher says that they will get into a wrestling match, and the other kids are confused and think that maybe they should join in. (Their current teacher Alicia had twin boys herself and understands their need to deal with their disputes, but typically, other children this age don't interact that way.) She says she lets them do their thing in safety but she turns the other kids away, saying, "you really don't want to be a part of that." That makes me laugh.

Colin is a very clean eater, but needs to do everything on his own. Claire has gotten messier, and when she's done she starts handing food over to the begging cat or the very patient dog on the floor, and when I tell her to stop, she waits until she thinks I'm not looking and tosses it over the side. And of course, when I tell her to stop, she laughs, and shakes her head. Then Colin shakes his head and laughs. Quite frankly, I was outnumbered with Adam's personality. But now I have two laughing at me when I lay down the law. Nice.

I feel like I might have said this before, but I'm pretty sure we'll need to move next door to an emergency room in the future. Adam is highly active and fearless, Claire is highly active but very aware of herself, so by sheer percentages we'll be seeing some broken bones... Colin is highly active, but also accident prone and fearless. So all three of them have the genetic make up to give me high blood pressure (it's a good thing mine is pretty low as it is). I'm pretty sure Colin has already chipped a tooth... just crawling on the tile and then somehow landing face first.



This is what Adam was doing while I was taking pictures of the twins.

As for Adam, here are some recent events:

Adam's teacher told us that he's a little bit girl crazy. She says he plays with the boys, but he "collects" the girls and will go to each of their centers and say "don't play that center, come play with me over here!"

He told one little girl: "You have PRETTY, PRETTY hair."
Another girl overheard and said, "What about my hair?"
He said, "Oh, you have a PRETTY PRETTY NOSE!"


I'm pretty sure he already has a girlfriend... the one he told has pretty hair. He's already got game.


I'M in so much trouble.

Adam is also starting to notice his size. Even though he just turned three and he's in a class with almost four year olds, he's as big as or taller than most of the boys and all of the girls. And he's all muscle, so he's heavy too.

This morning he told me:
"I'm getting bigger, bigger."
Me: "I know! You're becoming such a big boy!"
Adam: "I don't want to be big."
Me: "Why? Is it because you're worried Mommy won't hold you anymore?"
He nodded.
"Don't worry, you get as big and as strong as you want and Mommy will just get stronger so she'll ALWAYS be able to hold you."
His eyes got big, he believed me, and he agreed.

It sounds impossible, but I think I might have been telling the truth.


 

No comments: