Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It's Just a Car

That's what I keep telling myself. The truth is, I usually have unusual attachments to inanimate objects, but it's not because I can't live without them... it's because of the role they play in the short phases of our life.

This is the first car that I bought by myself, and paid off, without needing help from my parents, without needing a co-signer. It marks my first real job and first real steady paycheck.


This is the car that we brought Adam home from the hospital in... the one that he and rode in together for two years, which adds up to hours and hours of one-on-one time together. This is the car that Adam first was able to identify as "someone's." To this day I feel warm and fuzzy when I hear him say, "Let's go for a ride in Momma's car!" or "That's Momma's car!"



This is was a great car. I really liked this car. I'll really miss this car.




We paid off the Saturn in July 2011, thinking that we'd have another 3-4 years of no car payments and little maintenance costs. In November of 2011, we found out we were having Colin and Claire.

To balance out, my parents very generously gave us their blue 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan so I can tote around 3 kids and their bulky car seats, and to pay off medical expenses and other bills, we had to sell the Saturn. We looked briefly for a family with a daughter in high school or college who needed a reliable vehicle, but couldn't find anyone in that situation. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car, in fact, it was perfect. Perfect, I say...

So to save ourselves the hassle of trying to sell on Craig's List to some creepy people who don't want to pay what it's worth, we took it to Carmax. And I held back tears as I drove the babies on their first and last long ride in "Momma's car."


We sold my car a week ago for $8k (kelly blue book value was a little over $9k) to Carmax. I still miss it. Adult decisions suck sometimes, but we do what we have to do.


I choked up again when Adam said "where's Momma's car?" as we were driving out of the Carmax parking lot.

No comments: