Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hasty Promises: A Ducktales Tale.

I considered my 80's cartoon brainwashing of Adam complete when I taught him about Ducktales, which is now Adam's current obsession. He loves Scrooge and Gyro, and begs to watch my Season 1 complete set of Ducktales daily.

I caught him on Saturday afternoon curled up on the futon with his head on a pillow, eyes half open and blanket on him, engrossed in an episode that had just begun, and realized that his nap time window was open and had to send him for his nap. I warned him that even though the episode had just begun that it was time for a nap, and turned it off.

Real tears ran down his cheek as he cried and whined and sobbed that he wanted to watch, but I held firm. It was time for a nap, but he was truly upset that he couldn't watch. I held him and told him how sorry I was, and then promised him that after his nap we would have a Ducktales party. I put him to bed, and then mentally slapped myself. What in the world was a Ducktales party?

I racked my brain and came up with nothing. I had some other errands to run and luckily they were near a Party City, so I stopped in, and realized that there is just one problem with your kid liking something that isn't mainstream. If I had promised a Winnie the Pooh party, or a Toy Story party, a Cars party or a Yo Gabba Gabba party (which he doesn't even know what that is anyway), I would have been set. (I did smile when I walked past the Care Bears and made a mental note for next time I throw out hasty promises.)

$11 later I came home with a couple trinkets and better ideas, and then I threw something together. I'm just lucky he's two and a half, and there's no such thing as a Ducktales party (so I couldn't really go wrong).

I had his space on the counter all set up for his after-nap snack, all with things that are "Duck-tales" like, and most of it already in his toy chest.

Scrooges Money.

Scrooges hat and money bag.

Uncle Donald Pez

LaunchPad's plane.

Ducks next to his milk.
It's not a party without a balloon.
 
Uncle Donald (This was mine - yes. I already had this.).

Claire was ready for the duck party too.


After Adam's nap, he was thrilled with the hat, the Pez dispenser, the Donald stuffed animal, and of course, the balloon.

His snack was eaten but not after figuring out how Pez dispensers work.
 After/during the snack he got to build robots (like Gyro does) on the iPad.



Colin and Claire dressed the part too and wore duck pajamas.

Look at this, Colin!


They had a good time.
He's not quite sure what we're doing here.


Being Scrooge in a Batman shirt.






After the snack, Adam got a bath with just rubber ducks and boats.
Yes, we had all these ducks already.


After the bath, while he watched an episode of Ducktales, he had a dinner of Gold (chicken) Nuggets, Golden Macaroni and cheese, and Golden Peaches.

I'm glad I was able to throw this together for him in the middle of the day, but will be much more aware of what comes out of my mouth when I'm fumbling for ways to make the tears stop. He probably would have forgotten about my promise by the time he woke up from his nap... but I wouldn't have forgotten. I'm just glad I didn't promise a Bounce House Party -- I know he would have woken up asking where his bounce house was.

Aunt Robin came over today and let us borrow her Ducktales Season 2 complete set and Ducktales: The Movie. I don't know who is more excited for more Ducktales, him or me.

No comments: