Saturday, December 6, 2014

Adam the Hero


I think pretty much every day now I look at Adam and realize that he's 4 and a half. In May, he'll be 5. He's reached the point where he wants to socialize with friends more often than with me (of course he wants to spend time with me but it's way less fun hanging out with Mom now than it is to go to the park or a friends' house.) He's not my little baby anymore and I'm so proud of him but I feel like the last two years have gone by so fast. I guess that's why I need to go back and read my own blog, right?

Adam is in 3 half days of school, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. He loves his teacher and the school and begs to go more often. In some areas he's more than half-way through a kindergarten curriculum, and we're pretty sure we'll keep him in private kindergarten at this same school next year. He's really thriving in the Montessori environment and I love the work and thinking he's doing. His favorite subject in school is Spanish and Ms Kathy.

He can read now and is working on the BOB Book 1 set and is starting to really love it and get confidence at it. He's been able to read some words for a while but due to lack of confidence never really explored it.

Adam really has bonded with a few friends his age who "get" him. He's trying to get into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because that's what his cousin Caden loves, but in truth I think he doesn't really get it. He's more of a Batman kind of guy, and has started liking Transformers a lot too. He's tall for his age so he stands taller than most of his friends, but I don't think he ever really notices.

Adam is extremely sensitive to other people's needs and feelings, and often will be both a leader and a diplomat in many situations between Colin and Claire, or between other friends. But I do feel so bad for him when kids tell him he can't play with them. I know it's hard for any parent to hear, but stings a little more for him because I don't think he's ever told anyone that... he is extremely inclusive and cares very much that people feel liked and accepted. He's got such a good heart.

He told me today that he really wants me to have another "little baby" so he can be a big brother again. He then told me that we needed to have 3 boys and 3 girls but that if we had 10 people in the family he'd be perfectly fine with that.

The other day he told me that two boys were playing at school and they hurt his feelings because they said that he was "bothering" them, and that he was naughty. It really affected him. He told me that he wasn't naughty and that he thought that the best way to handle it was to go all the way to the North Pole and set the record straight with Santa... that THEY are the naughty ones, not him. And also that "naughty" is a bad word.


For Christmas, Adam is getting a present that I think he'll really like -- a 3 day mini theater camp in January for ages 3.5 to 5. If he likes it, we'll probably but him in a bigger one when he turns 5. Ever since that modeling/acting agency offered him a contract and we turned it down last year, I see him more and more falling into the perfect little model. AND HE LOVES doing it. He loves to pretend, act, sing, and make people laugh with witty come backs. I could NOT adore this kid more than I do so if I dote, it's completely unavoidable.

He still struggles with the sensory disorder and we have noticed that when the barometric pressure changes, or a warm or cold front moves through, or a storm, he has a very hard time feeling grounded. He runs through the house screaming, shaking his head, falls off chairs, walks into walls, talks either too loud or two soft, and tells me that he hears thumping in his ears like a heartbeat. Therefore, now that I see the signs, I can predict a storm within 2 days of it hitting, even when the weather radar says that there's nothing on it's way. It lies. Adam's senses do not.

However, though he has days that he struggles, he is doing SO much better on a regular basis trying to understand how to cope with it. I just love how hard he works, although like most 4 year olds, he's practicing his fair share of whining, ignoring, freak outs, etc. But hey, he's just a kid. And quite frankly he puts enough on his shoulders wanting to help me clean, cook, and take care of the kids that it's probably good that he gets a dose of "normal kid" too.



He and the twins get along very well, particularly with Claire because she wants to play the same games he does. He and Colin get along well because they both love to wrestle and try to crush each other. (Heck, so does Claire, and she's pretty tough herself). They are inseparable and completely happy together. Actually, come to think of it, they fight so rarely that I can't even remember if they ever do. Right now they are sharing a room and they are both happy with that arrangement. I don't think they want to be separated of have privacy.

Because of our living situation at the moment, Adam sleeps in the room with Claire but his clothes and things are in the room that we moved Colin into. So he has two rooms and yet no room for himself, and he doesn't even care. He has never once complained or thought that he was entitled to have a space for himself. I know that will change, and we are looking to make some changes soon. And when we buy a new house, he says it should have stairs and that his room should be upstairs.


I try to model myself after Adam which is why I believe he so made an impact when he entered our lives. He is fun, optimistic, intelligent, positive and a natural leader. I want to be like Adam when I grow up.

No comments: